So it's been 15 years since DA first appeared online and gave millions of people a platform to share their work and develop their skills and find work, it's been a very interesting ride and I can't begin to wonder how my professional career would have turned out without this site. Love it or hate it DA has been an invaluable platform for developing artists
So I am breaking my years-long resolution to never do another social media based questionnaire as this is a celebration, so lets begin.
1. How long have you been on DeviantArt?
- 9 years
2. What does your username mean?
- Originally I went by the username Phoenix-06, the Phoenix is my favourite mythical creature, it's ability to die in flames and be reborn in the ashes anew has always been an inspiring thought to me. The "06" relates to the year I joined DA
I changed my username to my real name "Adam Burn" last year as an identity thing as I had created more portfolio sites under the same name and wanted to tie them together. Also after attending multiple conventions and people calling me Phoenix-06 I decided I liked my real name more
3. Describe yourself in three words.
- Explosive, Imaginative, Driven
4. Are you left or right handed?
- Right handed, my left hand is for activating shortcuts only
5. What was your first deviation?
- Actually no longer exists on this site due to a clear out some years ago, it was a black and white acrylic painting I did in A-Level art class before I joined this site. I added to it in Photoshop during my first year of Uni and submitted it here. The image was of a robotic warrior standing on a cliff with a massive city in the background
6. What is your favourite type of art to create?
- Massive, thought provoking images using interesting composition and perspectives, I love high detail imagery and big shapes.
7. If you could instantly master a different art style, what would it be?
- Love using photographic references and textures in my work, they add some great roughness to images and detail and you can get some really cool effects but if I was able to master any art style I would go with a style that uses just painting, more of a traditional look to it, I never have the patience to stick with it these days haha.
8. What was your first favourite?
My first favourite was this pencil drawing of a character form the Star Craft games, I was doing a lot of pencil work at the time and loved the detail of this piece.
9. What type of art do you tend to favourite the most?
- Digital art is by far the art of choice for me, the huge variety of art styles and different techniques, no artists is quite the same and all use the same tools in different ways. I love looking at other digital artists and trying to figure out how they created an image.
10. Who is your all-time favourite deviant artist?
- To pick one is difficult but there is one artist who has inspired me beyond just artwork, their drive to create their own IP from the ground up and their own creative studio has been a huge influence to me and the driving force behind my own ventures into creating an IP, also his work on character creation is second to none, his name? Dan LuVisi an art god.
11. If you could meet anyone on DeviantArt in person, who would it be?
- See above
12. How has a fellow deviant impacted your life?
- Again see above, Dan LuVisi's work on LMS his own IP as well as his new IP Redemption and the formation of his own creative studio was the reason I began to really get involved with digital art as a career, his insane drive and motivation is inspirational and if it were not for his kind words and comments on my own work and my own IP development I doubt I would be as far ahead as I am today.
13. What are your preferred tools to create art?
- Photoshop all the way, I dabbled with 3DS MAX in order to create simple box models to help with more complex perspectives in images but once I began to get more proficient and comfortable with perspective I ditched it entirely. I still sketch a lot though since getting a Wacom Cintiq I now usually draw and sketch straight onto my PC. Cintiq is love, Cintiq is life.
14. What is the most inspirational place for you to create art?
- My home, with my wonderful girlfriend who has supported my artistic efforts for so many years even through the early dark days and helped push me. My large cat also helps by sitting on my lap when I'm working often swiping the stylus out of my hand allowing me to take a much needed break. Ow and we have a massive beach 20 feet from out front door
15. What is your favourite DeviantArt memory?
- My first ever Daily Deviation, that day I received more watchers, comments, favs, and page views than the 2 years prior combined and it helped expose my work and kick-started my professional career, and this was that image
Hope that sheds a little light on my experience here on DA. Here's to another 15 years